Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Sorry Romeo.....



I used to be in LOVE with Romeo and Juliet. When I was fifteen, Claire Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio were iconic for me, and there was no way to trump that as my favorite Shakespere movie. (I think anyone who knew me at that time will remember the six-foot long poster gracing my wall). But sadly, times change, and so do people's tastes. I have a replacement. It's actually been my favorite for some time, but I watched it again yesterday and I thought I'd share my opinion. Shakespere was a great writer (I'd hate to argue with historians and and literary scholars alike), however, I think the wit and humor, mixed in with a little drama that unfolds in this movie is absolutely brilliant. Some of my favorite lines are at the beginning when Beatrice and Bennedick are squaring off:

BEATRICE
I wonder that you will still be talking, Signior
Benedick: nobody marks you.

BENEDICK
What, my dear Lady Disdain! are you yet living?

BEATRICE
Is it possible disdain should die while she hath
such meet food to feed it as Signior Benedick?
Courtesy itself must convert to disdain, if you come
in her presence.

BENEDICK
Then is courtesy a turncoat. But it is certain I
am loved of all ladies, only you excepted: and I
would I could find in my heart that I had not a hard
heart; for, truly, I love none.

BEATRICE
A dear happiness to women: they would else have
been troubled with a pernicious suitor. I thank God
and my cold blood, I am of your humour for that: I
had rather hear my dog bark at a crow than a man
swear he loves me.

BENEDICK
God keep your ladyship still in that mind! so some
gentleman or other shall 'scape a predestinate
scratched face.

BEATRICE
Scratching could not make it worse, an 'twere such
a face as yours were.

Classic. Absolutely classic. If you've not seen this movie or the play, I would highly recommend it. Sorry Romeo. You've been replaced.

7 comments:

aprilhoyt said...

I LOVE that movie!! It's so great!! You know, Heather, you and I have a lot in common! too bad you live all the way on the east coast, we could hang out! hahaha

LadyEm said...

This is my all time favorite movie!!! I love when Benedick is alone musing trying to convince himself he's not in love and then he bursts out, "...no the world must be peopled!" convincing himself that men and women should love each other and get married and propogate the earth. :) I LOVE IT!!

William and Marianne said...

so funny, this is probably one of bill and i's favorite movie... our other is pride and predujuice.. the new one.

katherinejewel said...

Haha! I totally remember those days!! How could I not, it's all you talked about!! But then again who didn't love Leo? I can't believe you would go and find a new love...I'm a little disapointed...Now I'm going to have to go and watch this to see if it's any good :)

aprilhoyt said...

hey, are you in AZ right now?? I tagged you on my blog! just so you know :D have fun traveling!!

Unknown said...

We would have the almost exact same history, yet mine was the 1968 version I saw later in high school English class (http://students.ed.uiuc.edu/bach/rnj24/rj1968.html).

1993's Much Ado has since supplanted it. No other couple compares to Beatrice and Benedick.

Kate said...

I'm in that play :) I'm hugh otecake, a member of the watch, and Beatrice understudy.