Monday, November 24, 2008

One Wedding and a Snowstorm-by Heather Hite

Heather was very excited that morning when she woke up. It was her friend's wedding. As she got ready, she just knew it was going to be the perfect day. She went to open the curtains, and it took her mind a few seconds to register what she was seeing. "What's all that white stuff?? What the.....Is that snow?? Oh crap. That can't be good." Despite the misgivings over the weather, however, Amanda, her friend, was still getting married that day, and so, snow or no snow, she was making the trip to Washington DC.

The wedding was lovely, and Heather shed a few happy tears for her friend. Up until then, Amanda and Heather had shared the joys of singlehood. Now that was ending. Heather couldn't be happier for her friend.



After many pictures, they (Amanda B, Brad, Addison, and Heather) took what seemed like the long route to the restaurant, made longer by Addison not being too happy with her wet diaper. After a very lovely meal at Olive Garden, The company of four wished the bride and groom well and began their sojourn back to Lancaster. There was, after all, a party in honor of the release of the movie of Twilight being held that very night and Heather and Amanda B absolutely COULD NOT miss this one! They had waited patiently all summer long for this movie, and excitement was high. About and hour and a half to two hours into the journey home, (a journey which was only supposed to be two hours long) the snow began again. This time, the traffic crept along at an agonizing pace. A few stops along the way increased the anxiety of Heather and Amanda B, for the party was set to start soon. Not long after the snow finished dropping it's white flakes of doom, the traffic came to a dead stop. And so they waited. And waited. And waited. At seven o'clock, when the party was set to begin, phonecalls of disappointment had to be made. There would be no party for the girls. But hopefully, if the traffic would begin again, they could make it to the movie. They waited some more. And some more. No news came to them about what the holdup was. Nothing but hundreds of cars sitting on a freeway reading books, making phone calls, and letting the occasional expletive slip. Two and half hours later, the news came- the freeways were shut, and were set to open up again at 8:30. Was there enough time for Amanda and Heather to make it to their movie? Crawling along, they kept the small flicker of hope alive, and finally, they were on the road soaring towards home. The minutes ticked perilously by as the time for the movie to begin approached. They raced the clock, keeping that flicker alive. Finally, fifteen minutes after the movie was set to begin, Amanda and Heather screeched in to the theater parking lot on two wheels and made a dash for it. They made it to their seat just as the last trailer was finishing, and luckily, missed none of their highly anticipated movie. All in all, they gave the movie a general big thumbs up!
The next day was much better than the previous. The bride sparkled, the lights were turned low, and the food was delicious. Heather, after contemplating the weekend, realized that a winter wedding was definitely out of the question for her, but overall, enjoyed the beauty of the fall colors and dazzling lights.


4 comments:

katherinejewel said...

What a pretty bride congrats to her!!
On the second note~snow..that's why I live here!! haha
And finally my thoughts on twighlight...you will not like this... I thought the book was terrible. I thought the writing sucked and she explained the same things over and over...how cold his hands were, his eye color, how ridiculously good looking he was.. the second half of the book I liked when it felt like something was actually happening... then the movie..Oh no..I stayed up and went to a midnight showing the day before with all my friends(they are all HUGE fans, turns out I'm the only one who thinks it stinks..haha) And I thought that since I wasn't in love with the book, the movie would actuallly be better...oh no. Terrible acting, directing, so low budget...and last but not least... where were the beautiful vampires?! With their hot bodies and unaturally good looks?? I thought they were more average and edward was akward instead of some hunk who all the girls would love...It had such potential(great idea and story)to be amazing and it just feel short... Anyways sorry to critique so harsh...didn't mean to ruin your day.haha jk. But wait till my camera can upload pics again and I will post on my blog and you will see the real furry of my disapointment of the phenomenon of 'Twighlight'

aprilhoyt said...

haha, I love your writing Heather...I was on edge, waiting to see if you'd make it on time!! I'm glad you did and that it was a good show...I will probably go see it, but am waiting til the crowds die down...I will also (at some point when I do have time) read them too! Good times!!

William and Marianne said...

she looks like a good friend! how fun!

Ginny said...

Ha, ha, I knew you were going to make it to the movie. I had my fingers crossed for you!

I like the last picture of you catching the bouqet. I'm sorry I missed that part.

Ginny