Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Signs of Life!



This is the story of the little tomato plant that could. See, I bought this tomato plant, tickled to death, because it was already planted and staked and apartment-ready. I usually grow tomatoes and squash, but this year, because I don't really have anywhere to plant a garden, I just decided to do tomatoes and peppers in pots. Well, a week after I bought this plant, it was wilted and turning brown, even though I had watered it and given it tomato food. I thought, "Well, I'll just return it and get a new one." But another week went by and I assumed that was too much time to get my money back, so I decided to just keep watering it and see what happened. Low and behold, my sweet tiny tomato plant is now a full-grown bush, and yesterday when I went outside, there was a small tomato on the vine! There's plenty of buds that are ready to give fruit as well (because, yes, tomatoes ARE a fruit). So I thought, "Hey, I'll check on the peppers too, see how they're coming along!" Well, THOSE had little peppers as well. So, even though they're grown in pots, my veggies (okay, and fruits) are coming along nicely. Wish I could have everyone over for fried green tomatoes. Yum!